The Paramount Theatre and adjoining Paramount Court were designed by the firm Verity & Beverly. The practice was founded in 1871 by Thomas Verity when he won a competition to design The Criterion Theatre in Piccadilly Circus. With his son Frank, he went on to design such well-known buildings as the Pavilion at Lord’s Cricket Ground. In later years, Frank was joined by Sam Beverley to form Verity & Beverley and the practice was responsible for the design of many of Paramount’s Cinemas in the 1920’s in London and throughout the UK.
The Paramount Theatre on Tottenham Court Road was at the time the the third largest in London’s West End after the Empire Theatre and Dominion Theatres. It opened on 10th February 1936 as the Paramount Theatre. Seating was provided for 1,676 in the stalls and 892 in the circle. It was equipped with theatre organ and had a 130 seat cafe and adjacent Paramount Ballroom.
Odeon bought the theatre in 1942. In 1958, the Odeon was equipped with the giant screen, 3-projector process called Cinemiracle which resulted in the loss of 700 seats, leaving the theatre nevertheless with almost 1000 seats.
The Odeon closed in March 1960 following a final showing of Rita Hayworth in “The Story on Page One”.